Friday, January 14, 2011

The Adventures OF *yawn*

Just about yesterday in the wee hours of the morning I was on a mission to go into the urban jungles of Kuala Lumpur (well not exactly right there in the insides of the city) somewhere in Cheras, to collect important equipment that could save the human race! Okay not really however it was of an equal importance to that. It is for my uncle who's having... would it be correct to say suffering from? or going through the stages of... Cancer. Any how, my destination - Hospis Malaysia


I have to be honest here, whenever I think of going into, or anywhere around KL, I'll freak out! Knowing as much from the many stories about KL traffic and its winding maze of roads and streets and alleys and shortcuts, and how it could drive a person to go insane (explains the constant honking most people dread to hear, especially early in the morning when everyone's heading to work all groggy and grumpy and hungry) not to say I haven't had a generous portion of it in my life before; been there, done that. This would be my first time driving around Cheras on my own (most of the time IF I ever happen to go about driving in that area I usually survive getting out of it by following other friends) and I have no idea how!

So thank goodness to technology these days, even without a proper GPS navigation system in possession that I can put in the car there's always the good ol' pen and paper with the power of... GOOGLE MAPS


Super easy to find the place of course. The only trouble is I still had to drive and there's no escape from it. Anyhow its really great to have up to date maps so you'll know what are the landmarks you can keep in mind when driving later on. Here's what I wrote down...


Looks simple enough, or so I thought. I even had directions on how to go back from the place. Yup its that much of a phobia for me driving in KL what more to some unfamiliar place. Initially I had already printed out the location map provide at the website which well, to some idiot like me being put out blind on KL roads, I found out it wasn't much of a use after all.


Picked Pris up from her place at about 6am so that I could avoid the jam most of the way there, which was a hopeless attempt at avoiding the usual morning traffic congestion leading towards KL. Pity her she was still sleepy so she got some shut-eye for awhile. As for me, having chosen the route and more or less having committed it to memory already, I decided not to try another path with my not-so-precise-and-trusty Google Map 3.0 navigation app which I have in my phone to some futile attempt to by-pass the jam. The closer I got to entering the roads passing through Cheras on Jalan Loke Yew, the more memories I could recall of my past encounters with this dreaded passage I have had to cross about a dozen times before. Back then fortunately enough I was not the one driving.

Its like, "HEY~ I KNOW THIS PLACE!" and then, "SHOOT! I have to go through THIS place?!"

Being somehow worn out and wary of which turn to take next I stupidly decided to ignore the directions I had in possession of and instead followed the signs showing the way to Jalan Cheras. OH YES! I eventually did end up on Jalan Cheras; on the wrong side of it. Darn. I quickly made my way to a SHELL petrol station a little further up the road. Wait, somehow the whole area looked rather familiar; I paid no attention to my thoughts because someone was already feeling rather irritated with me stealing her away from her cozy bed so early in the morning. I'm sincerely very very grateful that you came along Priscilla! I quickly tried to find my current location with the phone and after awhile found myself not very far away from my destination. Next thing that came to both of our minds... HUNGRY!


Driving further looking for a U-turn, and finally heading on the right way I instantly recognized the road I was taking I shall not go into that anyhow just so you know anyway I still did end up turning into other roads later on fearing that I might miss the CORRECT turn and would have to drive goodness knows where and how far then back again to try to get into the CORRECT road. Obviously, we found the place.


Okay I didn't take any photos of the place so these are ALL from the Hospis Malaysia website itself. This one here is the initial look and the next one would be how it is at present time.


The place is so COOL! No not anything like amusement parks or of the sort obviously. I mean, its like when you walk in the entrance you could actually sense a strong aura of calmness and serenity, the kind of peaceful feeling so significant and powerful that no other bother in the world could make you care more of it even if it breached through this forcefield surrounding the whole place. Birds joyfully chirping, a kitten playing around at a nearby flower pot with it's mom beside, cool breezy winds blowing; you just MUST call it a sanctuary safe from all evil! Alright I'm getting waaaay overboard with describing the place anyway~ even the pictures of the garden below won't be enough to show you how truly wonderful it really is.




Reached the place at about 7.30am and it was still too early the office wasn't open yet so Priscilla and I decided to check out the row of shops nearby to see if there were any 'coffee shops' providing breakfast. At first I thought it would be close enough for us to walk, then again we were both super hungry. As hungry as... an Eric and a Priscilla! So we drove. We wondered no more as we easily found one place which was a corner lot, sat down and had quite a pleasant meal of Pork noodles and Pan Mee that we both shared. Rather satisfying I must say! For some place which somehow felt rather somber, OH right did I not mention it was a housing area with a cemetery existing around?


After an hour or so we returned back to the place, walked to the counter and gave the details they needed to confirm the items I was going to receive; the ripple mattress which is the piece of bumpy bubble-wrap look-alike sheet thing on top of the bed, not the thick mattress under it, a wheelchair (my first time handling a wheelchair) , an oxygen concentrator, one word... HEAVY! Along with all that in a small container some Potassium something something supposedly to treat bed sores.

Ripple Mattress

Wheelchair

Oxygen Concentrator
The staff were all very helpful with teaching us how to use the equipment as well as assisting with trying to fit everything in the car. I was kinda worried with how to put everything in the Waja and yet Pris figured out how to fit the wheelchair at the back easy as err... easy? Yeah okay maybe I worry too much sometimes. Thanks again Prissy~ you awesome! Signed some papers and off we went towards PJ. I did say way back that I wrote directions to go home as well, no? Followed them like an obedient dog follows its master. Woof ! =D

Stopped by my uncle's place to give the equipment and supplies, that would be about some time past 10am. Took some time to show my aunt how to operate the equipment, had some drinks and it was time to go. What was next then? LUNCH.

*skips lunch topic*

I sent Priscilla home some time in the evening and rested at her place for awhile because I was super exhausted! I ended up sleeping up till 10 something which was sufficient rest to drive home. Of course I didn't go home just yet, went to supper instead at McDonalds and THEN sent Pris for real and zoomed home quick before I started getting sleepy again and swerving all around the highway.

La-dee-dah ~ I'm home !

No comments:

Post a Comment